In a previous post I mentioned how I had changed my learning sales pitch in the artroom. In doing this I've come up with a different way of delivering assessment information and student task sheets which allows for more personalised learning approach. This is my second full year working on this structure and I thought it was a good time to share. A colleague and I are continually critiquing my work, balancing learning outcomes and quality assurance commitments and we are still yet to have it fully tested in our moderation system.
My sales pitch is simple at the beginning of the year I say " We are going to learn how to make really cool Artworks!" We are going to use the Artwork Creation Cycle to do this and if we focus on that goal, the assessment part of things, will take care of itself.
Ask really successful people how they got to where they are and you never hear about the school assessments they did. They find something they love doing and they strive to be the best at it. It's about intrinsic motivation rather than extrinsic motivation. In my opinion an education system that continually focuses on assessment results and neglects it's students intrinsic motivation will never achieve the bottom line it is looking for.
Lets start with the Artwork Creation Cycle. It's nothing new, it's the design process with slightly different wording. In fact it's a life process, it's how we grow, live and develop as human beings. In introducing it to students I always talk about it in this way.
In the beginning I deliberately teach each part of the cycle giving and showing examples of what they look like. The template below is what I hand out to the students minus a couple of pages that sit in my folder. The document is A3 in size with the students using an A3 clearfile for the template and their work throughout the year. I drip feed the paperwork, so as not to hit them with too much. When I feel they have enough artwork, which is normally towards the end of term one, I hand out the assessment matrix with assessment definitions and conditions. I then start to have class and individual conversations about how the assessment relates to the artworks they have made. It's about empowering my students to have conversations about their work and how it relates to assessment. This empowers them to take a more active part in the feedback and feedforward process with greater understanding.
The Task Sheets
I've struggled with task sheets. My students are really good at telling me "That's not what I need to do!" and when I ask them what they think they need to do, they look at me and say "Your the teacher, your suppose to tell us". It all comes down to "Why?" for them. Focusing more on the process, allows me, when it comes to task sheets give some students get more scripting and some will in essence write their own.
I've moved to using Evernote through a senior art account as the vehicle for communicating the task sheets with the students. This allows me to add text, pictures and links easily and is a multiple device platform that the students can access anytime anywhere. It also allows me to add too and alter at anytime in the learning process for the best learning outcome for the students. Assessment numbers are used in the task sheets but the focus of the task sheets is on the process of learning how to make really cool artworks. Microsofts Onenote or Google Apps could be used
It's early days and the consistent proof is yet to be seen in the pudding, however, the academic bottom line results have been positive to date. Like anything it needs to be continually worked on to meet the needs of my students.
Some of the best PD discussions are had in the staffroom over a coffee. My posts are intended to be like one of those conversations. Feel free to join the conversation, we just might help each other out. My opinions are my own.